My mother, after years of diligent research, came up with what I think is not only the easiest Chocolate Mousse Pie recipe, it's the best. It is, however, incredibly rich, so you'll likely want to serve rather slender pieces. It's especially lovely if you garnish it with whipped cream, slivered almonds, and or fresh berries.
Baked and cooled pastry (shortbread, chocolate or plain)
1 12 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate morsels (like Ghirardelli)
2 1/2 c. cream, divided into 2 cups and 1/2 cup
1 t. vanilla
1 T. Rum, Bourbon, Grand Marnier, or Cointrieau, or Peach Schnapps or Raspberry Liquor (double or triple this according to taste)
- Beat 2 cups cream till soft peaks form. Place in refrigerator to keep cool while you do the following:
- Microwave chocolate and 1/2 cup cream about 1 1/2 minutes till melted, stirring twice.
- Add liquor and vanilla, mix well.
- Cool about 5 minutes. The chocolate needs to soft enough to blend.
- Fold whipped cream into chocolate.
- Pour into shell. Chill at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and/or sliced almonds or grated chocolate.
- Dip a warm knife in hot water before slicing.
Lena R. Spangenberg