Saturday, December 27, 2003

Pecan Pie

This is another of my mother's recipes, one that I suspect she was making before I was born. It's one of my father's favorites, next to her "Clemson Peach Pie" (a recipe that I can only successfully make 1 out of 3 times). We usually had Pecan Pie at Christmas and Thanksgiving. It's a very Southern recipe, you don't see much call for Pecans in Yankee cooking. My mother always sorts out the Pecans, reserving the best looking Pecan halves to place in an elaborate pattern.

Ingredients:
1 Cup sugar
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 cup Karo syrup (clear syrup)
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Cup plus of pecans
pastry shell

Procedure:

  1. Cream sugar and butter.
  2. Beat in eggs, syrup, vanilla, salt and vinegar.
  3. Mix well, and add nuts.
  4. Pour into 8 inch pie shell.
  5. Bake at 350 F. for 55-60 minutes or until center is "set: when the pie is gently shaken.

Lena R. Spangenberg

No comments: