Saturday, December 27, 2003

Pie Pastry

This is the pastry recipe my mother used when I was growing up, and still uses today, as do I. When I was very small I would stand on a chair in the kitchen and watch while she rolled the pastry out and formed the pie shell. She usually gave me a small piece to make a pie or tart of my own with.

She always made it with margarine, but I suspect before I was born, it was made with butter.

It makes enough for two single crusts, or one double with a bit left over for the freezer.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2/3 cup margarine (1 stick plus 3 Tablespoons)
1 teaspoon salt
4-6 tablespoons cold water
Procedure:

Cut margarine into the flour and salt mixture until thoroughly mixed.
Add water until moist enough to make a soft dough.

Chill before rolling out.
Lena Spangenberg

No comments: